Delegates to Represent VMC at Mennonite Church USA Special Session
by VMC Staff
Six delegates will represent Virginia Mennonite Conference at the Special Delegate Session of Mennonite Church USA, May 27-30, 2022.
- Marian Buckwalter, former Pastor, Crossroads Mennonite Church, Timberville, VA
- Andrew Cheung, Pastor, Washington Community Fellowship, Washington, DC
- Andrew Fairfield, Pastor, Christiansburg Mennonite Church, Christiansburg, VA
- MaryBeth Heatwole Moore, Member, Faith & Life Commission and the Leadership Enrichment Committee, Harrisonburg, VA
- Sara Wenger Shenk, VMC Moderator, Waynesboro, VA
- Caleb Schrock-Hurst, VMC Racial Justice and Equity Leader, Harrisonburg, VA
The purpose of Special Delegate Session is to complete the 2019-2021 biennium resolution process. Delegates will discuss and vote on resolutions that were delayed due to the global pandemic.
These two resolutions are scheduled for a vote:
▪ Clarification on Mennonite Church USA Polity and the Role of the Membership Guidelines of Mennonite Church USA
▪ MC USA Accessibility Resolution
This resolution is designated as a study resolution:
▪ MC USA For Justice Resolution
MC USA delegates will determine if this resolution will be discussed and voted on at this special assembly:
▪ A Resolution for Repentance and Transformation
The bylaws of MC USA state:
a. Each congregation of the Mennonite Church USA is eligible to send one (1) delegate for each one hundred (100) congregational members, or fraction thereof. Also, congregations may send an additional youth delegate (ages 16-21).
b. Each area conference of the Mennonite Church USA is eligible to send one (1) delegate for each one thousand (1,000) area conference members, or fraction thereof. Also, conferences may send an additional two youth delegates (ages 16-21).
c. Each Racial/Ethnic group which has been officially recognized by the Executive Board may send three (3) delegates plus one (1) delegate for each one thousand (1,000) members of such recognized Racial/Ethnic group. Also, Racial/Ethnic groups may send an additional two youth delegates (ages 16-21).
d. Each member of the Executive Board is automatically a delegate.
For more information about this special delegate assembly, visit https://www.mennoniteusa.org/special-delegate-session-22/